Name: How to get articles from nntp//rss to INN
Author: Jeff Vinocur
- Install nntp//rss as per the instructions (need not be on the same machine as your news server). Enable the "Secure NNTP" option ("Authenticated NNTP Access", as of nntp//rss 0.4) if you prefer.
- Copy the rss-add script to wherever you want to run pullnews (it comes installed with INN, but you can run it on any machine that can open outbound connections to the nntp//rss machine and the INN machine).
- Make sure the machine you want to run pullnews on is listed in INN's $pathetc/incoming.conf (if you're running pullnews on the INN machine, "localhost" is probably already listed for you).
- Create groups on nntp//rss *first* (you can add more later).
- Use rss-add to indicate which groups you want to pull into INN (again, you can add more later).
- Try running `$pathbin/pullnews -c configfile` where the configfile is whatever rss-add is generating (run with no arguments and look at the last paragraph of usage information).
- Add an entry to the news user's crontab to run pullnews as desired (a sample entry is in the rss-add usage information).
- Any time you want to add more groups, just add them to nntp//rss first and then run rss-add (after which you may wish to run pullnews once manually to make sure it works ok).
||Last modified: July 13, 2003