Issues when operating as a Service

What? There's a problem? Post a message here and we'll try to get it resolved!

Issues when operating as a Service

Postby Jim Byrd on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:34 pm

Thought I'd try implementing the Service approach and did so successfully. However, FWIW, two issues which I'm not able to resolve. Perhaps bugs or perhaps I just need some guidance.

1. When using the Service, Gmail using the username:password format for the feed works. However, it does not work in the regular non-Service mode.

2. When using the Service, I appear to lose all ability to group things by Category. Only the individual feeds will download headers in OE, although the Category listings do show the number of new items when I synchronize (OE - download headers only). They just won't subsequently download when clicking on the category item, and I have to subscribe to the individual feeds in order to download the headers. This is unacceptable given the large number of feeds I have aggregated into categories, so I had to uninstall the service. :( Any advice would be appreciated.

Regard, Jim Byrd
Jim Byrd

Postby jason on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:45 am

Jim,

Just wanted to tell you that I'm looking into these issues. I will have sporadic Internet access for the next week or so (travelling), but will post an update when I discover the cause of the issues.

There's been a couple of reports of spurious behavior of the Category support. I am a little surprised that running it as a service changes the behavior, as it should be using the same codebase and database. Same goes for the password protected feed. Just to confirm, you are using 0.5b1?

Jason
jason
Site Admin

Postby Jim Byrd on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:06 am

Hi Jason - Thanks for looking into this. Yes, I am using 5b1.
Jim Byrd

Postby Jim Byrd on Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:18 am

Hi Jason - Just thought I'd touch base and see if you'd had a chance yet to look into this?
Jim Byrd

Postby jason on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:28 am

Jim,

I'm looking into this issue - unfortunately at a slower pace than I would like to, due to work constraints.

I have noticed what I think is a bug regarding the secure feed with Gmail. Running in non-service mode, I notice that the URL within the feed, when viewed after the channel has been polled, has the user name and password authentication information removed. Can you confirm the same behavior is present in your environment?

Still investigating the categories - will keep you posted.
jason
Site Admin

Postby Jim Byrd on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:04 am

Hi Jason - Good catch. For me, it disappears as soon as I click Update on the Channel Configuration page after adding the username:password. However, the red error banner doesn't reappear on that page until I poll, go away from the page to Quick Edit for example (where it's then redded), and then return to it. Regards, Jim
Jim Byrd

Postby Jim Byrd on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:07 am

Hi Jason - Just thought I'd touch base and see if there was any progress on these issues? Thanks, Jim Byrd
Jim Byrd

Return to Bug Reports