After single failed feed nntp//rss stops working.

What? There's a problem? Post a message here and we'll try to get it resolved!

After single failed feed nntp//rss stops working.

Postby trelony on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:59 pm

Just today InfoWorld rss feed stopped working and nntp//rss does not poll any other working feeds any more. Even after a feed recovers I have to restard nntp//rss in order to make it work again.

- Alexey.
trelony

Postby jason on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:09 pm

Alexey - please email me (jason@methodize.org) a copy of the log.log file from the nntp//rss directory.

Thanks.
jason
Site Admin

me too

Postby mmcdouga on Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:19 pm

I'm seeing this too. I'm running a local RSS feed which dies every week or so and every time it does all other feeds stop being updated (nntprss still responds to the newsclient but it doesn't report any new messages).

Michael
mmcdouga

Postby jason on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:20 pm

Michael,

I'm assuming your running with the last formal release (v0.3) rather than the latest code in CVS?

The next time it hangs, would you send a copy of the log.log file to me (jason at methodize.org)?

Thanks.
jason
Site Admin

Similar problem when my database gets too big

Postby amcewen on Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:58 am

I was seeing similar problems with it stopping polling at increasingly regular intervals (I got into the habit of restarting nntp//rss whenever I wanted to check for new posts). Eventually it got to the point where the web interface wouldn't even give me a full list of feeds - sometimes I'd get a "500 internal server error", other times I'd get some (the exact number varied) of the feeds listed but not all of them.

On a hunch, I deleted (renamed actually, so I could undo things :-) the nntprssdb.* files as nntprssdb.data was approaching 50MB. It now seems to be working perfectly, as it had been in the year or so up to a month or so ago.

Adrian.
amcewen

I'm still here

Postby mmcdouga on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:26 pm

jason, the problem seems to have disappeared so I haven't been able to capture a log from the bug.

I still have to restart every once in a while, but the server seems to lockup entirely instead of just ignoring feeds -- this may be some bad interaction with gnus, however, which seems to hang when the news server misbehaves.

I'll send a log when I get a clear instance of the bug.
mmcdouga

PS

Postby mmcdouga on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:27 pm

oh yeah, I'm using v0.3
mmcdouga

Postby jason on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:23 am

You may want to try with the v0.5 beta 1 version I just put up onto SourceForge. There have been a number of improvements made to the NNTP server code, as well as a switch to using the Jakarta Commons HTTP Client.
jason
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports