Cross-posting feeds

Share your ideas for future releases of nntp//rss.

Cross-posting feeds

Postby Dan Dickinson on Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:05 pm

Hey, as you've probably noticed from my blog, I've been loving nntprss. :)

There's one feature I'd love to see in the future though; I'd like to be able to allow one feed to post into multiple groups.

I track a lot of friends at once, but some of them are very low traffic, so if I could point them all into one group, it would consolidate my feed list down from 78 down to something more reasonable.

Keep up the great work!
Dan Dickinson

Postby jason on Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:42 am

Yes, this is a feature that a few people have been requested. I'm contemplating the idea of introducing 'virtual groups' that are aggregates of existing 'actual' groups. You could then either subscribe to the existing 'actual' groups within your newsreader, or to the virtual group contain the contents of multiple feeds.

These groups could not only be used to aggregate small feeds together, but could also be used to provide groups whose individual feeds represent a certain category - e.g. virtual.group.javablogs.

A future development may also be to allow greater granularity to only allow subsets of the actual feeds posts to get into the 'virtual group'. These may be to filter based upon some value of an item, or maybe through some bayesian expressed rules!

Anyway - I digress. I think the first goal is to get some form of aggregate support. I currently have this chalked up on my TODO list for the release after next - i.e. to have something available by v0.5.
Last edited by jason on Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Site Admin

Postby Dan Dickinson on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:43 pm

Funny you mentioned the filtering; I brought up nntprss on Don Park's blog the other day when he was musing on how aggregators could use filtering capabilities.

And yeah, I'm certainly not in a rush for virtual groups, just wanted to see them appear somewhere in the timeline. :)
Dan Dickinson

Re: Cross-posting feeds

Postby virtuelvis on Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:27 pm

Dan Dickinson wrote:There's one feature I'd love to see in the future though; I'd like to be able to allow one feed to post into multiple groups.

If you just can't wait, this can be done with M2, the newsreader in Opera; I read all my feeds from the "Unread" view - effectively having one "Supergroup" for all nntp//rss groups.
virtuelvis

Return to Feature Requests