Would you be interested in enclosure support for nntp//rss?

Share your ideas for future releases of nntp//rss.

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 2

Postby jason on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:24 am

There has been a reasonable amount of discussion in the blog world of late as to the joys of podcasting, and, in a broader context, the idea of enclosures. Enclosures, as part of the RSS v2.0 spec, enable items within a feed to refer to external downloadable assets - e.g. media files.

I've been contemplating introducing some form of support for this feature within nntp//rss. Initially I would see enclosure support consisting of the following items:

* While reading news, there would be links to an item's enclosures within the article. These links would point to a special page within nntp//rss' web interface from which enclosures could be retrieved,

* Background enclosure agent would schedule downloading of enclosures. This could be configured to run at certain times during the day,

* Enclosures would be stored in a structured filesystem within the nntp//rss directory, as opposed to within the actual nntp//rss database.

Please add your thoughts and comments to this post.
jason
Site Admin

Precision before I vote

Postby BoD on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:18 am

If I understand well, instead of just having a link inside the article, nntprss would download itself the file, and make it available to download... through a link. Is that right?
If so, I'm not sure about the need of this feature.

BoD
BoD

Postby jason on Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:18 pm

That's correct - nntp//rss would download the enclosures during scheduled times of the day. A lot of people have been using enclosures to distribute large audio and video files - with a goal of aggregators downloading them in the 'off-hours' (e.g. overnight). nntp//rss would download these enclosures, and make them available for local retrieval.
jason
Site Admin

Postby BoD on Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:08 am

Ok well then as long as there's an option to disable it I vote "yes".

BoD
BoD

Return to Feature Requests