Preload fullcontent bodies

Share your ideas for future releases of nntp//rss.

Preload fullcontent bodies

Postby talios on Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:00 am

I've just returned to trying out nntp//rss after not using it for awhile and one feature of other aggregators is the ability to automatically browse to full content of items ( with no description, or forced for feed ).

NNTP//RSS coud do this by connecting to the URL provided in the <link/> and pulling down the immediate HTML and offering that to the newsreader, who would then download any images or linked content.

Thoughts?
talios

Postby jason on Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:47 am

This is an interesting area of functionality. A few months back there was some discussion about this topic on one of the aggregator/syndication mailing lists (I'll look to see if I can find a reference). Essentially the major concern was about inappropriate use of bandwidth (full content being retrieved for all items, but never viewed by the user) and whether an aggregator should follow the same directives as search engines, as expressed in a robots.txt file.

In a perfect world, the feed would contain at least a synopsis within its description. However I can think of a number of feeds - for example, Slashdot - that do not provide this level of detail.

I do have a question regarding the other aggregators that support this function: Do they pull down the <link>ed content at the time of feed polling, or is it deferred until the user actually views the item?
jason
Site Admin

Re: Preload fullcontent bodies

Postby big_ed on Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:06 pm

talios wrote:NNTP//RSS coud do this by connecting to the URL provided in the <link/> and pulling down the immediate HTML and offering that to the newsreader, who would then download any images or linked content.

i'm using NNTP//RSS since yesterday & that would be a comfortable feature, that i've missed already & expected a little bit.

for e.g. outlook express provides an optional previewwindow for the body of usual news or mail in text or html format.
if you fetch only the header of the messages, the body will only revieved automatically or manually, if you decide to read the message or select it for downloading.
this prevents unnecessarily traffic of downloading the content of all articles.
big_ed

Return to Feature Requests