Greater number of options in "Polling Interval"

Share your ideas for future releases of nntp//rss.

Greater number of options in "Polling Interval"

Postby Jontu Kontar on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:37 pm

Question: I was wondering if the "Polling Interval" could have a few more options to it?

Potential Solution: Adding more options to the drop down box. EG. 1 per month, 1 per week, 1 per day, ect. Maybe adding the option to select a specific day for the appropriate options. Otherwise you could change the drop down list to a text entry box. This could be filled with some notation denoting a wait period. EG. minutes, hours, days, weeks, ect. Or you could combine these. The number field would be variable and the measurement could be a drop down box. EG. 720 | Minutes, 36 | Hours, 7 | Days, etc.

Rationale: I have some feeds that are updated rarely and don't see the need to poll them every 2 hours to find that nothing has changed. I also have other feeds that are only updated on specific days of the week.
Jontu Kontar

Postby jason on Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:07 pm

I do like this idea - I've been wanting to improve the polling selection choices for a while now, as I feel the current options are limited.

I'll still keep a default nntp//rss-wide polling selection, along with the granular per-channel options. However, I'd like to allow for longer intervals and other granular options. Maybe a combination of the simple choice, as you describe (every x minutes / hours / days), along with an 'advanced' option where other polling interval characteristics could be specified - e.g. don't poll between these times, days not to poll etc.

This does raise one question - what should be the smallest polling interval? This needs to take into consideration the realistic update intervals of most RSS feeds, along with what would be a considerate polling interval against most sites. Currently the minimum possible interval is 10 minutes - I consider this probably too aggressive for the majority of sites. Any thoughts?
jason
Site Admin

Postby pdkrocul on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:39 pm

10min is probably aggressive. But, it's a valid option. Just use at your own risk (the risk being an upset admin that bans you).

How about a config file with valid options on the pulldown? Or a text entry box for the number of minutes? 1440min=24hr could be added to the label on the entry field.
pdkrocul

Return to Feature Requests