International characters not displayed correctly

General discussion about nntp//rss.

International characters not displayed correctly

Postby amdi8 on Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:45 pm

Hello,

I'm using nntp/rss with a Spanish RSS feed:
http://rss.elmundo.es/rss/descarga.htm? ... dc4b1f4975

However, all the accents and other international characters are displayed as questions marks in my newsreader. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out where the problem is.

I'm using KNode 0.7.2 and I have no problem viewing other Spanish newsgroups through my regular NNTP server. I tried viewing it with other charset encodings, but nothing helped.

I would guess that those chars are converted in nntp/rss itself. Is there a way I can verify this? Or maybe the source RSS doesn't have the correct encoding label? (it certainly looks fine when I just open the rss link directly).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
amdi8

Postby jason on Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:42 am

Hi,

I've added this feed to the demo server (running a beta of v0.4):

news://demo.methodizesolutions.com/es.elmundo

Please test this in your newsreader and tell me if the characters are correctly rendered.

Thanks
jason
Site Admin

Postby amdi8 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:27 pm

Jason,

The feed from El Mundo looks great on the demo server! No problem with funny question mark characters, and all the accents and special symbols are displayed correctly.

Is that because of some fix in the upcoming 0.4 release, or do I need to configure something differently on my end? Let me know if you'd like me to test out the 0.4 beta over here (I'm runnong nntp//rss 24/7 on a Debian Woody box with JRE 1.3.1).

In the meanwhile, mind if I use the demo server to read El Mundo? ;-)
amdi8

Return to General Discussion