Grouping Feeds - is there a way?

General discussion about nntp//rss.

Grouping Feeds - is there a way?

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:44 pm

Is there anyway of grouping Feeds. I have some professional, some personal and on different topics. It would be great to group them.

I'm guessing by the naming convention of the feeds you include by default that using the name is the only way?
robok

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:56 pm

Yes, currently it is only possible to group based upon naming conventions. This is the only real way to expose an categorical hierarchy through the news reader interface (which, it must be said, some newsreaders support better than others.)

However, that said, I'm in the process of testing category support for the next release. Categories represent newsgroups that contain an aggregate of feeds. For example, you will be able to create a 'Java' category, then assign all the feeds related to Java to this category. You'll then be able to open the 'Java' newsgroup within your newsreader and collectively see all the items from those individual feeds.
jason
Site Admin

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:27 pm

I realize you have limitations doing it this way.

Does OE not allow you to do things like NewsGator does in Outlook? I know thats not the focus of your product. I'm just curious.

What about this... can you create multiple NNTP accounts with different listings? Like 127.0.0.1 and .2 and .3 and so forht and give them different "category names". That would actually be quite useful and I think make sense to people.

EDIT: and by the way, using Name as the grouping is also very hard due to there is no Rename function in the Admin panel. I'd have to export them all, edit the file, delete all the groups and re-import them in order to effect a grouping change.
robok

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:41 pm

Yes - A rename feature will be available soon - this is probably the most requested feature!

The idea of creating separate NNTP accounts within Outlook Express to represent different categories is a great idea! I had never considered this before. In OE, you can set up multiple accounts to point to the local nntp//rss server, and just set their descriptive name to be the name of the category.
jason
Site Admin

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:44 pm

I just did it.... it's AWESOME!

So all RSS feeds are available to each "server", but just subscribe to the appropriate ones. It works quite well and makes this a whole lot more usable, and now I dont really care about renaming them!!

this is really coming together for me....!
robok

Postby christian on Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:16 pm

I hope also, that nntprss will released in the text days.
christian

Re: Grouping Feeds - is there a way?

Postby virtuelvis on Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:41 am

robok wrote:Is there anyway of grouping Feeds. I have some professional, some personal and on different topics. It would be great to group them.

I'm guessing by the naming convention of the feeds you include by default that using the name is the only way?

I'm grouping and treating feeds in a different way: Operas mail/news client M2 allows the following.

Multiple connections (accounts) to the same server, which means you can set up one server conenction for personal, one for professional and one for "the rest", connected to the same nntp//rss-install
    Collecting messages in "supergroups", since M2 treats all mail/news as entries into a database, and you can create custom views into this database in addition to the standard views that are set up
    Grouping of accounts, so you could include/exclude accounts from the view at will

Go to the Opera website and give it a go. The combination of nntp//rss and Opera offers power way beyond what I've seen with other newsreaders[/url]
virtuelvis

Return to General Discussion