problem importing OPML file

General discussion about nntp//rss.

problem importing OPML file

Postby robok on Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:46 pm

I exported an OPML file from NewsGator and am trying to import it. It gets "URL field is empty:" for every single entry.

Here are two entries, hope they post.

Code: Select all
<outline title="deviantART News" description="deviantART; where ART meets application!" xmlurl="http://www.deviantart.com/backend/news/" htmlurl="http://www.deviantart.com" />
    <outline title="kuro5hin.org" description="technology and culture, from the trenches" xmlurl="http://www.kuro5hin.org/backend.rdf" htmlurl="http://www.kuro5hin.org/" />
robok
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:58 am

nntp//rss v0.3 is case sensitive on the OPML import, and expects the feed attribute to be named xmlUrl rather than xmlurl. Just open up your OPML document within your favorite text editor, and do a quick find/replace from xmlurl to xmlUrl. You should then be able to import this into nntp//rss.

This will be fixed in the next release.
jason
Site Admin
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:27 pm

worked a bit. Now I got:

Problems were encountered while adding channels.

There was an error parsing your channel file:
Document root element is missing.

I will look for similar type problem.

This is the top of the OPML file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<opml>
  <head />
  <body>
   

robok
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:33 pm

Is ...

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>


... the first line in your document (i.e. no blank lines before it?)

If you're running on Windows, try to open up the XML document within Internet Explorer. Does it report any errors?
jason
Site Admin
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:44 pm

yes on first line. Opened in IE 6, no errors.

I edited the top to look similar to another format i saw. Now i have:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<opml version="1.1">
<head>
  <title>mySubscriptions</title>
  </head>
  <body>



as the top of the file.
robok
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:27 pm

Can you send a copy to me at nntprss@methodize.org - I'll take a look to see if I can figure out the problem.

Thanks.
jason
Site Admin
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ

Postby robok on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:42 pm

thanks a lot!


It seemed to have been a problem with the CR characters or file format or something. The file I was using came from a windows program (NewsGator) and i found one on the web that worked. I cut and paste my content out of the broken one, into the working one and it worked fine.
robok
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Postby jason on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:53 pm

Ah - I think I may know what the problem might have been. There's a chance that the XML file was generated with a Unicode BOM as the first few characters. These indicate Unicode encoding within the document, and are hidden if you bring the document up within Notepad and some other Windows editors.

The XML parsing logic used to read RSS documents skips the BOM if it is present, however this logic does not exist when importing an OPML file. I'll introduce a fix for this into the next release.
jason
Site Admin
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: West Orange, NJ


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron