General discussion about nntp//rss.

Postby christian on Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:43 pm

Hello

When will be released Version 0.4?
What featues has this version or where can i download 0.4?

Thanks!
christian

Postby jason on Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:17 pm

I will be releasing a beta version of 0.4 in the near future. There have been some significant changes, especially in the area of data persistence. 0.4 will be using JDBM as the default persistence engine. Compared to hsqldb, JDBM provides for quick start-up and shutdown times, and generally better performance. There will be an automated migration utility included that will allow you to move your existing hsqldb data into JDBM.

0.4 will also support MySQL as an alternative persistence engine.
jason
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy76 on Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:27 am

jason wrote:I will be releasing a beta version of 0.4 in the near future.

I don't mean to be nagging, but when IS this near future you were talking about in the "not so near" past? :P
How unlikely it may seem, these are my actual opinions.
fuzzy76

Postby jtangney on Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:32 pm

fuzzy76 wrote:
jason wrote:I will be releasing a beta version of 0.4 in the near future.

I don't mean to be nagging, but when IS this near future you were talking about in the "not so near" past? :P

Hey Jason,

Thanks for a really cool tool! I use it all the time, and find it so much more convenient than even the best rss aggregators. Being able to see my newsfeeds in an nntp newsgroup alongside my email is great! And when I am offsite, I can access nntp//rss via a standard newsreader.

So about 0.4... My only discomfort with 0.3 is that it doesn't understand some of the newer RSS variants, so I turn on "parse at all costs." This works well most of the time, but for how long?

Meanwhile, do you recommend using the CVS version?

Thanks again,
--johnt
JD Tangney and Associates
http://jdtangney.com
+1-510-579-2800
jtangney

Postby jason on Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:51 pm

jtangney wrote:Thanks for a really cool tool! I use it all the time, and find it so much more convenient than even the best rss aggregators. Being able to see my newsfeeds in an nntp newsgroup alongside my email is great! And when I am offsite, I can access nntp//rss via a standard newsreader.

That's great!

jtangney wrote:So about 0.4... My only discomfort with 0.3 is that it doesn't understand some of the newer RSS variants, so I turn on "parse at all costs." This works well most of the time, but for how long?

Meanwhile, do you recommend using the CVS version?

The parse-at-all-costs option will take any RSS feed (even those that aren't entirely XML compliant) and try to make some sense out of it. While this is a good workaround for feeds that consistently publish broken docs, there's always a chance that you may not be getting the best user-experience in regards to the data contained within the post.

There have been a few enhancements made in the 0.4 codeline for RSS support, as well as the addition of an Atom parser. Aside from that, there are a number of other updates, including support for MySQL, and the use of JDBM as the new embedded database (instead of hsqldb). It also uses the Jakarta HTTPClient, which has proven more reliable that Sun's standard HTTP support within the Java Runtime Environment.

I definitely recommend giving the latest CVS version a try. The demo server has been running an older v0.4 alpha on top of MySQL for some time now, and it has proven quite stable.

If you still experience parsing issues with v0.4, please put a post here and we'll try to figure out what is causing the problem.
jason
Site Admin

Postby jtangney on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:07 pm

jason wrote:I definitely recommend giving the latest CVS version a try. The demo server has been running an older v0.4 alpha on top of MySQL for some time now, and it has proven quite stable.

Excellent! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again,
--johnt
JD Tangney and Associates
http://jdtangney.com
+1-510-579-2800
jtangney

Return to General Discussion