Windows service install

General discussion about nntp//rss.

Windows service install

Postby kevstev on Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:26 am

In WINDOWS-SERVICE.txt it says to D/L JNT from http://www.eworksmart.com/JNT/ , they no longer support or offer it to D/L(and can't find it anywhere else..). Instead, they direct you to use Java Service Wrapper from http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/index.html How do I use this with nntp\\rss? or is there somewhere I can D/L JNT(there is a ton of different "JNTs" on the web)?

I did try out another thing called javaserv http://www.kcmultimedia.com/javaserv/ by mixing their directions with the ones here and got as far as installing a test service, but could not actually install nntp\\rss.

I'm not knowledgable of programming so specific instructions would be necessary. Right now I'm just sort of stabbing around. Basically I'm not looking to tackle the full learning curve, just to make this work.

Anyone around who can help me? EIther mail me JNT or provide me with some diections?

<on preview> I did get nntp\\rss to work from my command console, but I would prefer it to run in the background.
kevstev

Postby jason on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:16 pm

I'm working on replacing JNT with another Service Wrapper - either the Java Service Wrapper you have listed below, or the enhanced JavaService from MultiPlan Consultants (http://www.multiplan.co.uk/).

The latter is probably the easiest to configure. You can download the latest copy (currently v1.2.3) from:

http://www.multiplanconsultants.com/software/javaservice/downloads.html

To install, perform the following steps: [note - I have not yet tested this process - please tell me if you have any issues]

1. Unzip the JavaService zip file, copy JavaService.exe to your nntp//rss directory.

2. You'll need to find the location of your Java Runtime Environment's jvm.dll - for Java 1.4, you should find it in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll. Make a note of this directory.

3. Type the following command to install the nntp//rss service: (subtituting %jvm_location% with the full path of your jvm.dll, and %nntp_dir% with the directory in which you installed nntp/rss)

Code: Select all
JavaService.exe -install "nntprss" %jvm_location% "-Djava.class.path=%nntp_dir%\nntprss-start.jar" -start org.methodize.nntprss.Startup -current %nntprss_dir%

Note that this should be entered as one line in your command window.

For example, given a jvm.dll location of c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll and an nntp//rss location of c:\program files\nntprss:

JavaService -install "nntprss" c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll "-Djava.class.path=c:\program files\nntprss\nntprss-start.jar" -start org.methodize.nntprss.Startup -current "c:\program files\nntprss"

The service should now be installed, and will be configured for automatic startup.

To uninstall:

JavaService -uninstall "nntprss"
Last edited by jason on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jason
Site Admin

Postby kevstev on Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:06 pm

Thank you, Jason. These look like excellent directions. I might not have time tonight to work on this, but as soon as I get some progress I will post again with the results.

Again, thank you.
kevstev

Problem starting service created by JavaService

Postby roark on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:35 am

jason wrote:To install, perform the following steps: [note - I have not yet tested this process - please tell me if you have any issues]

I have tried using JavaService as explained, the Windows Service is correctly created but I get the following error when starting the service:
Could not start nntprss service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error.  This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.

I tried logging errors with -err for the JavaService but nothing is logged. Have anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks
roark

Postby jason on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:08 pm

Can you take a look in the log.log file within the nntp//rss directory - does this get generated/updated when you start up the service?

I'll take a few minutes this weeked to validate the service configuration on my machine.
jason
Site Admin

Postby jason on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:31 pm

I noticed a couple of things from initial testing:

1. A -current parameter needs to be specified when installing the service. This points to the directory where nntp//rss is installed.

2. In the example, the path to the JVM client was invalid - it incorrectly referred to client.jvm.dll in the path, it should have been client\jvm.dll.

I've corrected the previous posting to reflect these changes. If you are still having problems, please append the following two parameters to the service install command:

-out c:\nntpservice-out.txt -err c:\nntpservice-err.txt

If the service isn't starting, JavaService should log some useful information to one of these two files.

One final question - which platform are you running on?
jason
Site Admin

Postby kolin_tregaskes on Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:24 pm

They have disabled downloads from here: http://www.multiplan.co.uk/software/jav ... loads.html.

Is there anywhere else I can download JNT? Or another way I can set up nntprss as a Windows service?

Kol
kolin_tregaskes

Postby jason on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:46 pm

You can now download JavaService from the following URL:

http://www.multiplanconsultants.com/sof ... loads.html

Thanks to Multiplan Consultants for this version - their previous URL was taken offline due to a bandwidth attack.
jason
Site Admin

Postby kolin_tregaskes on Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded this and type in the command, it says the service has started, but I can't download messages.

So I've just created a batch file with the command, javaw -jar nntprss-start.jar and put a shortcut from it into my Startup menu (seems a lot easier and less fiddly).

Kol
kolin_tregaskes

Postby redwolf on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:12 pm

I'm getting the same problem as roark. No reports are generated and I can't uninstall the service either.

I did have it working originally using javaw in a batch file, but 10 days ago it stopped. It kicks off at startup, hangs around for three seconds and dies.

I'd like to get the windows service functioning, any ideas what's fallen over? I miss my nntp//rss news feeds, damn it!
redwolf

Postby jason on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:54 pm

Can you try running nntp//rss interactively from the command line. Open up a command window, and go to your nntp//rss directory, then run:

java -jar nntprss-start.jar

Do you see any errors during startup? Also, take a look in the log.log file - are there any errors or exceptions?
jason
Site Admin

Postby redwolf on Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I got nntp/rss up for three seconds before it died again with:

20:54:58,782 [main] INFO  Main - Starting nntp//rss v0.3
20:55:05,272 [main] ERROR Main - Exception thrown during startup
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: java.sql.SQLException: Unexpected token:
Unexpected token:   in statement [

Æ%Bâ☼J♠Pä╨ä_├ö╛òτ<|φ{♠Uxÿÿ
→g¿64mµ_≥Γf↓→ÿ]

And I realise this is hideously long and needs to be trimmed, but I'm not familiar enough with Java to know what can stay and what can go.

Update: Code trimmed to just include corrupted gibberish.
Last edited by redwolf on Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redwolf

Postby jason on Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:36 pm

Ok - this looks like the script file of the internal hsqldb database has been corrupted.

Take a look at the following topic:

http://www.methodize.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

Basically you'll need to edit the nntprssdb.script file and remove the garbage data from the end of the file. Check out the posting for step-by-step directions. If you need further assistance, please either email me or drop a reply in here.
jason
Site Admin

Postby redwolf on Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:43 pm

Many thanks, that was indeed my problem. I culled 400k of gibberish from nntprssdb.script, fired it up and am back in the land of nntp//rss goodness.
redwolf

Return to General Discussion